Amazing Coin (USD): Money learning & counting game for kids is exactly that – an iPad game that will help children practice counting coins and learning about money. The app deals with coins in amounts from a penny up to a dollar, all in United States currency. As children play the games they earn quarters for their correct answers and these quarters can then be used to buy money for a virtual fridge. When the fridge is stocked with food children can “eat” it for a snack.
Amazing Coing has eight different games that cycle through, one after another. There are no instructions and the game doesn’t stop and start which makes it nice for young children. The games include the following:
- Words – Children drag and drop letters to spell the names of the coins. They will see the coins on the screen.
- Matching – This is a matching/memory style game where children match a card with the coin and the currency amount.
- Pay for Items – Children are given a food item and they must find the correct amount of change to pay for the item.
- Make Change – Children have already paid for the food and they must determine how much change they get in return for their purchase.
- Add It Up – Add up all the coins to find the amount of money.
- Greatest Value – Least Value – Compare coins to find the one with the greatest or least amount of values.
- Sequences- Children drag and drop coins to complete a sequence (pattern) on the screen.
- Patterns – Children must use the provided coins to complete a pattern.
Amazing Coin provides a nice variety of manipulative practice with coins. I found the Pay for Items and Make Change activities to be the most helpful. I would have liked to see more focus on identifying the individual coins and learning what they look like. The app uses the state quarters and it would be nice if they all had the same look. I found it a little tricky at times to tell between nickels, quarters and half dollars. I think more of a difference in coin size and instruction as to what the coin faces look like would help there. I believe apps like Amazing Coin are important. The more we turn to our debit card the more our children need to be reminded what actual money looks like!
Price when Reviewed: $.99
Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.Requires iOS 4.0 or later. This app is designed for both iPhone and iPad.
Seller: Joy Preschool Game
Disclosure: I received a free copy of this app for review purposes.