A happy dolphin named Dory would like to take your children on an underwater Math adventure in the just released app, Math Ocean. Dory will take them to three different oceans and the beach for practice with five skills that are just right for older preschoolers and kindergarteners. Let’s take a look at the activities Dory has for your child!
- The Beach – At the beach Dory will give children sorting practice with sea creatures and toys. Players will need to arrange the items in the correct sequence (smallest to largest, etc.)
- Pacific Ocean – In the Pacific children will work on their matching skills as they help Dory repair broken submarines. Each submarine is missing windows and players must match different shapes with the matching outlines on the submarine.
- The Beach – Back at the beach Dory will ask children to help her finish making patterns using beach toys.
- Indian Ocean – The Indian Ocean is where the addition activities take place and children will help Dory add up groups of fish. By tapping on the screen they can summon the number of fish used in the math problem which then lets them count up the total needed to solve the answer. Level one for this activity uses numbers that add up to five. Level two works with numbers adding up to ten.
- Antarctic Ocean – The penguins are diving into the ocean and Dory needs help figuring out how many will be left. Players will be asked to solve the problems and they can tap on the screen to make the penguins jump, making it easier to count up the final total. The levels in the subtraction problem are the same as in the addition activity.
Dory is a cute character and it’s fun to have her presenting the math problems. Young children should enjoy watching her swim across the screen. I found the math problems to be just right for older preschoolers. I think that with the ability to count the fish and penguins on the screen they’ll have no trouble getting the hang of the more difficult addition and subtraction levels.
Price when Reviewed: $1.99
Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.Requires iOS 3.0 or later
Seller: VCare Creation
Disclosure: I received a free copy of this app for review purposes.